Saturday, May 24, 2008

starting to wonder.

i find twitter and other such "social networks" fascinating.

i can definitely not disagree with anyone that these websites do provide a form of social interaction...a form of community. that is definitely clear. however, are we using these websites as a way out of getting to know people face to face?

Are we just plain scared?

I've noticed for years how much easier it is for people to speak more freely through the web...whether it be through instant messenger, myspace, facebook, twitter, etc. But i'm starting to believe these things are all crutches. they are all ways we can pretend that we are really communicating effectively with others when really we're just scared to have actual human contact.

Is it easier to be rejected over the computer screen than in person? Heck yes it is! At least via email, you don't have to face someone and see the look in their eyes. You almost don't have to know the real truth. But how is that healthy? How is that normal? What is normal anymore?



Now, on to the whole reason why i even started this blog.

I really think the main problem with these networks isn't within the sites themselves. I mean, come on...twitter is a great idea. Facebook...myspace...i've reconnected with so many people that i might have never "seen" again if not for those sites. That isn't my issue.

My issue is the girl too busy with her face stuck in her iphone twittering...yet all the while missing out on a conversation happening with the people right in front of her. My issue is with the boss that would rather facebook people than sit and have coffee with a staff member. My issue is with the workaholic who is on vacation but cannot stay away from their phone or laptop for five seconds to actually fully enjoy the setting sun....the sound of silence....life without electronics.

Have we forgotten what it is like to not be so distracted by being in the "know" that we negelct the people God has placed in our life in that exact moment in time? What if God doesn't want us to be focusing on Bob down the road...why should i really care that he's washing his car when Sally beside me needs a friend right now....but, i'm too stuck twittering to Bob and all of my followers about how I'm meeting with Sally. My question...am I really meeting with Sally?

Again, don't get me wrong. I think these sites are fun...interesting...and can really connect you with those you do life with. but....

when you find yourself getting to know people more through these places than through actual conversation...something is not right. we were made for human contact and interaction. you cannot argue to me that having a conversation via twitter or ichat beats actual human contact.

i won't buy it.

No comments: