Wednesday, June 18, 2008

"take me to this Love"

can you imagine those words coming out of the mouth of an eight year old street child? an orphan. alone. sniffing glue.

he told her he had never been told about love or this Jesus she spoke of. how could He be Love? he said he wanted to know about this love so he told her, "take me to this Love."

my heart wanted to burst out of my chest. i sat there asking God how He could stand by and allow an eight year old never hear those words...allow him to go hungry and unprotected. And then i realized that it wasn't God who allowed him to go unloved and unprotected, but us. we are His hands and feet. we are His people. He has put us on this earth to be that love to the orphan...the widow...to the unlovable...to the forgotten...to the prisoners...to each other.

our ears have heard..we are responsible.

i've always dreamed big dreams. i used to think a part of my worth would be found in my ability to make those dreams come true. most of my dreams have been extremely selfish. most have involved me receiving glory. i remember standing on the dusty ground in kenya laughing and singing with five young boys. i remember looking into their eyes and feeling completely at home. i looked around at their humble surroundings...no electricity, no fast food around the corner, no wal-mart, no starbucks..and i imagined living there and being completely content...completely at home...living a life loving the orphan...the forgotten...the rejected...

but even though that vision might not have been for me to act on right away...i still see it as a reminder of our calling as a people...my calling as a woman of God. i am to love even when i'm not loved back....oh how hard that can be.

i am to never forget...i am to plead their case...

and i am to continue to love those God brings into my life as if my life depended on it.

Father, how in the world do i do that?

Currently listening to:: Brooke Fraser::Shadowfeet

1 comment:

SeeKate said...

I tagged you. Read my blog to find out...second to last one. Sorry - had to do it!