Sunday, March 23, 2008

Loud and clear.

i was finishing up my reading for small group tomorrow night and God really spoke to me. God never ceases to amaze me though...i was really distracted during the study... i just couldn't focus. but...He grabbed me despite myself. Boy am I listening!

Here's a tip of the iceberg for ya...

"Our ability to accomplish the things of God has nothing to do with our own human ability. We simply cannot sustain a life of service and sacrifice in our own power. If we try, we will eventually become jaded, angry, and numb. (God please, I don't want to become numb..).

Our lives are to be poured out indiscriminately to others around us, expecting absolutely nothing in return. Sounds pretty selfless...and it is. If we let God work through us to live these radically selfless lives, then we become like a stream of living water, channeling God's Love to those in need.

Most of the time though, we feel more like dried up wells than streams of living water. Interestingly enough, we are usually busy doing good things during the dry times (dang, conviction). Despite the amount of activities we are participating in we feel completely spent and don't experience the "filling up" that God promises. Perhaps we are dry because we are doing a lot of good things but not doing the ONE "God-thing" we've been called by God to do. Consider this: God only empowers us to do the things He's call us to do."

Oh man, that hit me hard tonight. I am this person he is talking about. Even though I enjoy all of the things that I do....I am actually running away from the one thing I should be doing/developing...because i'm scared...because i lack confidence...because i'm not trusting God...not trusting that He knows what He's doing.

In the next paragraph he says something interesting...

"Maybe God is trying to get the attention of these believers and ask them, "Did I ask you to sponsor five kids, sign up for three mission trips in six months, help out three nights a week at the soup kitchen, and lead your Bible study group?" No! I invited you to do one thing -- prayerfully prepare for one mission trip. That's it. I have other people in mind for the other activities and frankly, you're in the way of THEIR opportunity to serve." We can get so caught up in doing good things that we fail to actually spend the bulk of who we are on the God things--the stuff He actually invited us to do in His power."

.....whoahhhh God. I can only handle so much. It isn't like this is a completely new concept to me...I've heard this many times before. But something is different this time.

I hear you loud and clear.



Currently listening to: How He Loves Us, Kim Walker version of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are two awesome ideas: God is the one giving us strength and He only empowers us to do what He's called us to. I know I'm guilty of trying to do a lot of "little" things when God is really wanting me to do one HUGE thing.

Thanks for the reminder.