Friday, January 25, 2008

Forget what you came for?

I got together with some friends tonight and made tacos and cookies. :) I love cooking with friends....

After dinner, we decided to watch "Chocolat." I hadn't seen it since it was in the theaters back in 2000. All I remember from watching it then was that I left the theater inspired. So, I really looked forward to that feeling again tonight.

But I ended up feeling something slightly different when I left my friend's house...

For those who haven't seen the movie (I recommend that you run out to your friendly video store or get it on netflix), the movie is about a woman who comes into a repressed (for a lack of a better word) town set in 1950s France. This town is subdued by the notion that in order to worship the Lord, they must deny themselves of almost anything that brings pleasure and/or joy. These things were not found easily in this town. These people were empty. This woman...just through her presence...changed everything.

Halfway through the movie...watching piety at its finest...i felt that this woman represented Christ more through her love of the town's people than the religious authority stifling the people. Her heart was to see the people live life to the fullest...create, dance, sing, love, laugh, cry...Live!

I want to be someone that breathes life into others. That's what Christ did when He roamed the earth...so why wouldn't His followers do the same? Why would we bog ourselves down with do's and don'ts? Why does there have to be formulas? And equations of how life is to be lived? Last time I checked, God made me much different than He made you...with a different purpose...and different role. Why do I have to live like you do? And conversely, why would you have to live like me? Why do we have to follow the rules just for the sake of following the rules? Didn't Christ break rules? He was the biggest rebel of His time and i absolutely LOVE that about Him!

Now, I must change gears for a minute and address all of you rule followers. Don't get me wrong...I'm huge on authority...and respecting that...but...BUT...I'm not talking blasphemy here. I do believe that Christ followers are called to live holy lives...we are called to sacrifice and have self control...in some areas. But not in living...truly living. Not in dreaming. Not in loving others. We are called to live with and without abandon.

So let me ask you this question. Have you forgotten about that thirst? Is your forgetfulness just creating noise for others? Are you a loud gong? Or...

Or, is God using you to bring life to others? If the answer is no, I can tell you with 100% certanity that He wants to do that through you. If you let Him, you'll never be the same.

No comments: